I'll be hosting a brown bag discussion at my home institution, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, on November 6, 2013 from 1-3PM in Sage Labs 3510 on writing for a popular audience. I plan on covering the following topics:
- Theory in under 1000 words
- How to Write about Current Events
- Venues & Audiences
- Examples of different venues & their intended audiences
- Writing Publicly as a PhD
- Pitching your Work to an Editor
- CVs, Hiring & Tenure
- Twitter and the Writing Process
- Where your Work goes in Social Media
- Blogging under imperialist white supremacist capitalist patriarchy & talking to the press
If you're in the area it'd be awesome if you showed up. Equally awesome would be written stories and anecdotes about your own experiences. I'm especially interested in the experiences of women and people of color who are blogging on the regular.
Writing with Twitter: Jessie Daniels's "From Tweet to Blog Post to Peer-Reviewed Article: How to be a Scholar Now" and Rob Horning's "The taste of circulation"